An era, Sri Lanka was under the authority of foreign rule, the missionary education was spreading everywhere in the country, Sir Henry Steel Olcott established some schools for Buddhist boys with the assistance of the Parama Vigngnartha Society. But it was felt the necessity of improving the knowledge of the ladies who take the burden of shouldering the Nations future march and because of this reason a girls school for educating the Buddhist girls was established at Trichbon lane, Colombo 10, situated in a temporary building of Sri Lankaramaya (Ode temple) on 18th October 1889 by an Australian National Lady called K. M. Piccot. This was named as ‘Sinhala Buddhist Junior Vidyalaya’.
Afterwards Madam Mari Musaeus Higgins was appointed as the principal of the school and the administration of the school were in the hands of heads of teachers. After sometime the school was shifted in 1910 from the Ode Temple land due to the wanting of more space to No. 62, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha where it is now situated.
Afterwards the school was managed by a manager as a mixed school and the first building of the school was conveyed to the ownership of the students in the year 1920. From 1934 to 1947 Madam Lile E. Gomaz was the school principal and Madam Emalin Wijekoon was the Principal from 1948 to 1967. At that time the Maradana Buddhist Balika was continued as a private school and on the 29th of October 1963 this was vested by the Government. This is the school that was named as Sri Sangamiththa Balika School on 12th October 1964.
From 1968 until 1977 the school was continued under Acting Principals .
From 1971 until 1977 the Principal was Madam Ruban Peiris. The building Viharamaha Devi where the present office is situated and the present library building Visaka were constructed during that period.
Under the new reforms of education, this school has converted to a primary school with holding classes from Grade 1 to grade 5 on 3rd January 1974. The separation of students who passed grade 5 to Gothami and Ananda Balika was began at this period.
From 1st of April 1977 to 30th April 1984, the post of the principal was held by Madam Amara Amarasinghe. The portion of land with grass presently situated in front of the office was taken at that time by the school. While the first western band and the “Little friends” were began as well as the school anthem was also composed by Dr. Ajantha Ranasinghe during that period.
From 1st of May 1984 to 2nd of October 1986 the Principal was Madam T. Weerasooriya. From 3rd October 1986 to 9th February 1998, the post of Principal was held by Madam L. P. Kadawathaarachchi. The construction of an open air theatre, beginning of the old pupils’ Association, beginning of the teachers’ welfare Society taken place under this madam principal. From 10th February 1998 to 18th May 2004, the post of Principal was held by Madam S. A. A. Sooriyaarachchi. Preparing of the playing compound, development of the quality of the education and purchasing of a vehicle for the use of the school were taken place during the period of this Madam Principal.
From 9th June 2004 to October 2011, the post of Principal was held by Madam Vinitha Jayaweera. During this period the honorary award for the area fertile and the All Island Fertile award was won by the school and a play ground which was necessity for the school was acquired during this time. This is the period when the International Quality Standard ISO 9001 – 2008 certificate was also awarded to the school. Further a construction of a new Buddha shrine room, the Sangamiththa statue, Sangamith poth piyasa and computer room, providing the internet facility and construction of a place to hoist flags were established. The National Green award was obtained during that period.
The post of Principal from 24th November 2011 is held by Madam Thushari de Silva. During her post period following achievements were seen.
Construction of a pavilion which was necessary for the play ground, obtaining of the Green award, obtaining the 2nd place in the schools agriculture society programme in 2012, obtaining the First place in “Sisu Saviyen Ran Aswanu” competition conducted by the zonal educational office, the first “Sangamiththa Walk” programme, removing of the sewerage system completely which was built through the classes in order to safeguard the hygiene of the students, preparing a new survey plan for the whole land of the school, talent show called “Sangamith Sara” was held to improve the talents of the school children at Nelum Pokuna Mahinda Rajapaksha Theatre, a show named “Sangamith Guru Sara” was held for the 1st time at Kularathne hall at Ananda College in the history of the school. Obtaining the International Standard Certificate ISO 9001, 2008 from 4th May 2013 to 9th April 2016, was gained. For the first time of the history of the school gaining the 5th place in the grade 5 scholarships in the District, removal of the single floor Prajapathi old building and beginning to construct a three storied building on 3rd February 2014. Improving of extra curriculum activities, removing and repairing of the stage in the main hall with Kumbuk timber, fixing of a multi media unit in the main hall, launching of the I CARD system, renovation of the principal’s office, construction of a new open air class room called “Sathutin Uganimu’ under the old Tamarind tree of the school. For the first time in the history a first lady participated in the events for two consecutive years for the sports meet and the occasion of the entry of grade 1 students to the school. They are the major performances of the school during her period.
Up to now number of future plans is already proposed by the school administration.
It is our fervent hope that Sri Sangamiththa Balika Vidyalaya which speaks to a long standing Buddhist history would usher a golden line in the Island.